Manager, Reporting and Analytics
• Hired at Ingevity on 02/01/2016
• Over 14 Years in modeling, developing and implementing BW/BI solutions.
• Live in Charleston South Carolina
Ingevity is a leading global manufacturer of specialty chemicals and high performance carbon materials. We develop, manufacture and bring to market products and processes that purify, protect and enhance the world around us. We have around 1750 employees. We operate in 70 countries around the world
We improve daily living:
• Our automotive carbon products capture the equivalent of 8 million gallons of gasoline each day.
• Our asphalt additives make the roads we drive on smoother and durable by improving the surface texture, sealing the pavement and freeing the roads of surface irregularities.
• Our oilfield products enhance oil production by ensuring important pipes and equipment are free of corrosion during drilling and production.
• Our ink resins help the graphic arts industry to improve gloss, drying speed, adhesion and rub resistance of the finished ink to the printing material.
Current Analytics environment:
SAP BW 7.5 on Hana
Bex Queries, Analysis for Office and Power BI
Reporting and Analytics:
The strategy at Ingevity is to move away from the traditional model of a IT heavy department creating reports and publishing the reports to our users to a self-service report model. We are looking at Microsoft’s Power BI to accomplish this.
Issues we are faced with:
• Most of our users currently receive pre-formatted excel spreadsheet reports distributed by a handful of power users.
• These power users run bex reports then dump the data into excel and combine various other lookups.
• Data is filtered in excel depending on the distribution list.
• There are very few if any visualization. It's mostly raw data and Pivots
• Most power users operate in a siloed fashion